In 2009, a controversial 90-day trial period for new employees was introduced to small and medium enterprises. This was extended to all businesses in 2011.
A study undertaken by the Department of Labour has found:
- 80% of staff hired under a trial-period contract were retained at the end of the contract.
- 20% were dismissed (note: employers are not obliged to give a reason for dismissal).
- Of employers who used a trial-period, 40% would not have hired staff otherwise.
- Of employers who used a trial-period, 60% would have hired staff anyway.
- 70% of employers intend to use trial periods in future.
Source: Employers Assistance Ltd.