9 February 2015
This week Rob talked rather hoarsely about cutting NFP computing costs by:
- Using Ubuntu as your OS for free
- Buying Microsoft Office or WIndows through techsoup.org.nz for discounts that can be more than 90%
- Re-invigorating old computers with an SSD (a fast hard drive) or a low resource OS like Lubuntu – adding memory can improve speeds too.
- Using a free Office suite like LibreOffice or WPS Office
- Buying refurbished PCs rather than new ones – Techsoup is a good place to visit for this too.
- Making sure you are in charge of your website and that your annual hosting bill is under $200
Music was Norwegian Wood (This Bird has Flown) by Cornershop, Speeding Motorcycle by Yo La Tengo, Wilco (The Song) by Wilco and more Yo La Tengo with Can’t Forget.
Listen again at www.oar.org.nz/podcasts